AN INTERVIEW WITH SUSAN DUFFY, HEAD OF HUMAN RESOURCES AT ALLIANZ GLOBAL LIFE
Susan talks to Coopman about the importance of workplace wellness and provides great insight into how the company supports their employees’ health and wellbeing, particularly while working remotely.
1. WHY IS IT IMPORTANT FOR A COMPANY TO FOCUS ON THE HEALTH AND WELLBEING OF THEIR EMPLOYEES?
Focusing on wellness in the workplace is vital not only for supporting employees’ physical, mental and emotional wellbeing but also proactively helps address key issues which can arise in the workplace such as stress and absenteeism. A wellness programme can boost productivity, promotes employee engagement across the business and increases employee morale. In summary, wellness has never been so important!
2. AT AGL, HOW DO YOU SUPPORT EMPLOYEES’ HEALTH AND WELLBEING?
For quite some time AGL have supported various polices such as flexi time, flexi leave along with the introduction of a wellness allowance as part of our remuneration strategy. We provide online yoga, mindfulness classes, virtual running clubs, a virtual book club, wellness webinars, podcasts and other useful resources along with our Employee Assistance Programme…
3. HAS REMOTE WORKING INTRODUCED ANY OPPORTUNITIES/CHALLENGES FOR HEALTH AND WELLBEING?
Remote working has provided us with both the challenge and opportunity to support our employees particularly whilst working remotely.
4. HAS AGL HAD TO DO ANYTHING DIFFERENT TO SUPPORT YOUR EMPLOYEES’ HEALTH AND WELLBEING WHILE REMOTE WORKING?
Yes, listening to our employees and keeping connected has been a challenge. Simple things such as increasing opportunities for communication is even more important than ever before and pulse survey to garner feedback on employees remote working experience has been helpful.
5. AS THE COMPANY GROWS, DO YOU HAVE ANY PLANS TO SCALE YOUR HEALTH AND WELLBEING SUPPORT FOR EMPLOYEES?
Yes, we would like to invest further and have plans to do so…WellMark initiative from IBEC is something we are exploring.
6. AS A HR PROFESSIONAL, WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE SOMEONE LOOKING TO IMPROVE THEIR HEALTH AND WELLBEING?
I would say it’s the most important investment you can ever make as a person. It shapes our emotional, physical and mental wellbeing along and makes us happier!
7. ARE YOU SEEING ANY NEW TRENDS IN THIS SPACE?
Getting the basics right will be as important as seeking out new trends. Although holistic wellness is a new concept for healthcare ..wellness to cover the mind, body and soul and healthcare providers are stepping up to leverage this opportunity. 🙂